NB: This is the adventure front after Session 1 of “From Us Came Dusk”. I thought this might serve as a useful example for anyone looking to understand fronts. A video explanation can be found at the end of the post.
Threat: Chaos Ichor (Elemental Vortex)
Impulse: to grow, to tear apart reality
- Excrete more chaos spawn
- Spawn filter into forest
- Ichor consumes vault
- Local reality dissolved
Impending Doom: Rampant chaos
Threat: Vault (Abandoned Tower)
Impulse: to draw in the weak-willed
- Vault detects outsiders as a threat
- Security drones and hologolem attack
- Databanks reset due to malfunction
Impending Doom: Impoverishment (loss of databanks)
GM Moves for Cursed Places
- Vomit forth a lesser monster
- Spread to an adjacent place
- Lure someone in
- Grow in intensity or depth
- Leave a lingering effect on an inhabitant or visitor
- Hide something from sight
- Offer power
- Dampen magic or increase its effects
- Confuse or obfuscate truth or direction
- Corrupt a natural law
Description and Cast
Chaos ichor has seeped into an ancient scientific outpost. This threatens the automatic systems that continue to gather biological research data for researchers who may someday understand its functions. More immediately, it could escape into the surrounding forest and consume the biome, thus unraveling reality in the area.
- Izix (Vault AI appearing as a dragonkin)
- Agumur (Planar Worm extruding the chaos ichor into this world)
When you draw too near the chaos ichor, say how you deal with it and roll+STAT. ✴On a 10+, you stay fully within this plane and take no harm. ✴On a 7-9, you get a glimpse of the chaos beyond your reality and choose 1:
- Take 1d6 damage as the psychic winds buffet you.
- Temporarily dazed (disadvantage to INT and WIS) until you can Recover.
- Will the chaos ichor consume reality?
- How will the party preserve the knowledge stored in the vault?